Sue Storm is the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four.
Sue Storm was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. She first appeared in Fantastic Four #1 in November 1961 as a founding member of the Fantastic Four, Marvel’s first superhero team. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created the Fantastic Four after seeing what a success their main competitor DC Comics’ superhero team comic book ” Justice League of America” was. It has also been rumored that Stan Lee got his inspiration to create the Fantastic Four from DC Comic’s Sea Devils team. If this is true, then Susan Storm was originally Marvel Comic’s counterpart to Judy Walton of the Sea Devils. Due to the success of the Fantastic Four, DC Comics produced its own version of the Marvel team called Challengers of the Unknown. Thus a character such as June Robbins could be said to be based on Sue Storm.
Sue can generate and control a form of energy from hyperspace. She bends light waves away from her which make her invisible. She also wears a special suit which has unstable molecules. This special suit allows her clothes to become invisible with her as well. Soon after, she was able to render other objects invisible. By rendering objects invisible, she uses her imagination rather than visuals. For example, she can make pipes in a building invisible without actually seeing them. With this, she could also disrupt the energy waves making someone else invisible. She could also make invisible objects and use them a projectiles, something small being much like a bullet and something large like a battering ram. With this, she could make a temporary ladder or something which she could use to reach higher places.
She also has the ability to form force fields around her and other people. She can control the texture of these force fields, making them as tough as she wants or as soft. She can also fly or levitate by pushing her energy through air molecules. Sue can also assimilate telekinesis which developed to the point that she destroyed a piece of a Celestial’s armor. Her powers have grown and she’s learned to use them in new and creative ways.
With her invisibility abilities she can:
- Render all of herself, or any part of herself invisible.
- Render others and other objects invisible.
- Make walls, the floor, or the ceiling, invisible so she can see through them.
- Sense other things that are invisible and make them visible.
- Partially disguise her clothing to modify her appearance.
With her force fields abilites she can:
- Create strong shields.
- Create ladders, bridges, platforms, elevators and other things to help her get places.
- Create a board or saucer to levitate herself or others.
- Use her force fields to move things (like telekinesis).
- Create weapons. (i.e. a sword)
- Create a projectile weapon.
- Create a battering ram. (to bust open doors, etc)
- Create something soft to catch someone. (like a giant glove or mattress)
- Make things explode by creating a shield inside of it then expanding it.
- Suffocate someone by putting them in a shield and not letting air in.
- Create an air bubble, she can go places without air and not let air out.
She has had some training in hand to hand combat, and is a capable unarmed combatant. Sue’s earliest appearances had her ability as only being able to become invisible, but as a more scientific approach was taken to explain her powers, it was decided to expand them to include force fields (she uses force fields to bend the light around her.) Although she was a relatively weak character to begin with, Susan Storm has evolved to become the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four and one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel Universe.